Saturday, October 20, 2012

DIY: Nail art rings


Hey naily girls (◕‿◕

I've always made a lot of effort to coordinate my outfits and accessories with my nail art.
Now, I've figured out a way that you'll never have to struggle again! Why don't you make your own jewels? 


Yes, I almost can hear you sighing behind your screen (I insist on the "almost" here). Don't be afraid, it's not rocket science! It's even kind of addictive! 





I'll explain everything you need to know to make your own rings.
Here is what you need:







(I don't know the translation for everything, so here is a picture so you can understand me :) )



1°) Grab a ring blank
 and put a layer of your favourite nail polish
on it. Meanwhile...


Step 1:



2°) Now you can grab a "gem" (again cf. picture #2) and put a layer of the same nail polish on it.
My secret tip is to flip it and put it on a piece of sticky tape so it won't move when you put the polish on and so you won't leave finger prints all over it (cf. next picture).
Let them both dry.






3°) When it's dry, you apply a second layer of nail polish, let it dry. If you need to you can repeat the process until you get the exact opacity.

4°) Put a drop of Top Coat (not necessarily your favourite, most expensive one. You just want to avoid a Top coat that makes ugly bubbles... well unless you want your ring to be disco-ish). Let it dry for a long time. I would recommend 1 hour (if you are as impatient as I am, you can make several other rings while you wait)!
Do not check with your finger if it's dry, this will leave finger prints (disco-ish again).



5°) Now it's glue time! It's widely recommended to use some jewel glue, but if you don't have some (I don't), you can use regular glue.
You put a thin layer in the center of the "support de bague". Avoid the edges so it won't go past the "cabochon" when you assemble them.  






6°) Finally add a tiny blob of glue on the cabochon and assemble them both. Try to aim right because once you've assembled them, if you try to remove them or just move them a little, you may ruin the whole thing. :(










The final tip: Yes, I know, it's not made of silver or gold, I admit. So if you don't want it to get rusty on your pretty little fingers, and to turn ugly, simply spread a layer of Top coat on the inside and the outside of the ring. You can repeat this process after a few weeks or months if you think you need it. This way, you can keep it as good as new! :)




Here are my very first creations:



Gosh n°086 + Essence Special Effect:

Yes Love Cerise et Corail, démo Dotting Tool:

Ring "Octobre Rose":

I tried the Stamping:

Gosh "Deep Sea blue" + Flakies Sephora:

Nfu Oh! n°60

Hello Kitty (the disco effect I've talked you about):


Variations: You can now try this technique on earrings, pendants and make your own, unique set of jewels matching your nail art!








Your turn now! Feel free to share pictures of your own creations!



I hope you find this useful! Take care and see you soon!





Bisous, bisous! (✿◠‿◠)۶




post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, this is an amazing technique! How cute would it be to have the same ring design as your nail art? I bet people would start a guessing game on which is the customized one. Haha! I can’t wait to try this for myself!

    Cheers,
    Lakisha Gelb

    ReplyDelete